HANG MUA CAVE & VIEWPOINTS
Ninh Binh is referred to as the “Ha Long Bay on Land” because of the limestone rock formations that you can see surrounding the area similar to Ha Long Bay. Hang Mua Peak is a famous place to see the magnificence of those limestone rock formations. Hang Mua or Mua Cave is known for the cave and the viewpoints. There’s not much to see in the cave but the viewpoints are the ones you should prioritize.
We visited Ninh Binh by joining a travel tour that included the destinations Hang Mua Peak, Trang An Boat Tour, and the Bai Dinh Pagoda Complex. The entrance to the Hang Mua Viewpoints is located inside a resort called Hang Mua Ecolodge or Mua Caves Ecolodge. We arrived at the resort by bus and we hurriedly climbed to the viewpoints. There are 2 viewpoints, one is the Pagoda Viewpoint and the other one is the Dragon Viewpoint.
THE PAGODA, THE DRAGON & THE LOTUS
To reach the top, we have to climb 500 steps of stairs. The first one can be reached if you turn right on the fork at the stairs. It is lower and has a pagoda on top and you’ll have a different perspective of the Dragon Viewpoint and the fields and pond below. The second is at the top and you’ll have a mesmerizing view of Ninh Binh — the limestone rock formations, the valley, and the rivers. A white statue of Guanyin or Kuan Yin is your sign that you already arrived at the viewpoint. The Dragon Statue can also be seen there and you can climb to it but we didn’t bother since we were very tired.
What is also amazing in the Hang Mua Ecolodge is the Lotus Pond located on the right side of the resort. After climbing down from the viewpoint, we went to the pond. It was nice having a picture there surrounded by lotus flowers.
WANT TO KNOW MORE DESTINATIONS IN HANOI? CHECK MY VIETNAM PAGE!
TRAVEL GUIDE & TIPS
HOW TO GET THERE:
a. BY TRAIN/BUS:
- Take a train/bus from Hanoi to Ninh Binh. TRAIN/BUS TICKETS TO NINH BINH VIA 12GO (Travel Time: 2 Hours & 30 Minutes; Fare: 120,000 VND ~ 195,000 VND)
- From Ninh Binh, take a taxi or a motor-taxi or book a Grab to Hang Mua (Travel Time: 12 Minutes)
b. CAR RENTAL:
c. TRAVEL TOURS:
BEST TIME TO VISIT:
- During the Tam Coc Harvest Season, between May and June, when the weather is clear and cool.
- Entrance Fee: 100,000 VND
- ACCOMMODATIONS IN NINH BINH
- Mua Caves Ecolodge (Hang Mua)
- Bai Dinh Hotel (Located inside Bai Dinh Pagoda Complex)
- Emeralda Resort Tam Cốc
- The Goat Boutique Resort
- Liberty Hall Tam Coc Hotel & Villa
- Tam Cốc Retreat Ninh Bình
- Tam Coc Minh Hung Homestay
- ACCOMMODATIONS IN HANOI
- Madelise Palace Hotel & Spa
- Hanoi Graceful Hotel
- Ha Noi Memory Central Hotel & Spa
- Amira Hotel Hanoi
- Le Chanvre Hotel & Spa
CHECK OUT THESE DISCOUNTED/PROMO RATES FROM KLOOK:
- Hanoi Half-Day Tour with Vietnam Army Legendary Jeep
- Bai Dinh – Trang An – Mua Cave Tour from Ha Noi
- 3D2N Exploring Sapa Local Village Tour from Hanoi
- [Route 1+2] 3D2N Halong Bay Deluxe Cruise from Ha Noi by Phoenix Cruise
- Hoa Lu, Tam Coc/Trang An, and Mua Cave Day Tour from Hanoi
- Website: https://www.hangmua.vn
- Contact Number: 0229 361 9679
- OPERATING HOURS: 7:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. (From Mondays to Sundays)
- The best time to go is in the morning or late in the afternoon when crowds are fewer and the heat of the sun is still bearable.
- Bring water with you especially if you are climbing at noon, the heat of the sun will get you.
- Wear comfortable footwear, there are 500 steps to climb up to the viewpoint.
- If you’re looking for food and drinks, there are eateries and cafes in the area.