Mt. Maculot is located in Cuenca, Batangas. It is known for its “Rockies”, a place that boasts a breath-taking view of Taal Lake, Taal Volcano, and the rest of Batangas. Mt Maculot is day-hike-able. You can choose to just go to the Rockies or a full traverse going to the Grotto. Either way, it can be done in one day. The climb can be challenging since there is rappelling and rock climbing involved.
BATULAO OR MACULOT?
For the year 2016, I’m pushing myself to climb 4 mountains within a year. For the first climb, I invited my College Barkada and my girlfriend for a hike/outing. We haven’t been together for a long time and haven’t done it before. We always go to beaches and resorts when we go out of town. So, this time, a challenging one. 😛
The authorities require guides for all who will climb. The guide fee depends on your destination. We took the Rockies-Summit-Grotto traverse for 800 pesos for 5 persons, plus 100 for an excess individual. The fee reached 1000 pesos because we are 7 in the group.
ROCKIES AND SUMMIT
The hike was the first time for most of my friends and my girlfriend. I’m proud of ourselves for finishing that challenging trail. It took 9 hours. Despite exhaustion, we felt accomplished. We’ve reached the summit and got down safely, after all that we’ve been through. We don’t conquer exams and homework anymore, we now conquer mountains!
Check out also our climb guide to Mt. Batulao, Mt. Gulugod Baboy, and Mt. Talamitam.
- Cuenca, Batangas, Philippines
- Jump-off: Mountaineer’s Store, Barangay Siete, Cuenca, Batangas
- Elevation: 706 Meters Above Sea Level (Rockies), 957 Meters Above Sea Level (Summit)
- Difficulty: Minor Climb (3/9 – Rockies), (4/9 – Summit)
- Hours to Summit: 2 Hours (Rockies), 4 Hours (Summit)
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Take a bus (DLTB or JAM Liner) from Buendia Bus Terminal bound to Lemery. Drop at Cuenca. (Fare = ₱130.00, Travel time = 2 Hours)
- Ride a tricycle from the tricycle terminal going to Jump-off. (Fare = ₱20.00/person, Travel time = 15-30 Minutes)
- Registration Fee = ₱20.00
- Wash up fee = ₱15
- Guide Rates:
- Trekking shoes/slippers
- Trekking Pole
- Trail Food
- 2-3 Liters of Water
- First Aid Kit
- Insect Repellant
- Packed Lunch
CHECK OUT THESE DISCOUNTED/PROMO RATES IN KLOOK:
- Aquaria Water Park Day Pass
- Crusoe Cabins Casobe Beach Staycation with Add-ons
- Palm Beach Resort Overnight Staycation with F&B Credits and Kayak
- Fortune Island Day Tour
- Wear footwear that holds your feet tight and has good tracks as the trail can be slippery at times
- Put on sunblock and wear proper clothing, there are no trees on the Rockies.
- There is no water source in the area, bring 2-3 liters of water.