Mt. Kulis and Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite are new destinations in Tanay, Rizal where you can experience camping and seeing a sea of clouds without the extreme effort of climbing a mountain. This destination is good for beginners and for the fans of Cardo. Sit atop the summit is a house known as “Bahay ni Cardo”, a shooting location in ABS-CBN’s “Ang Probinsyano”.
I am grateful to be invited by my roommate to join their club’s (United Trekkers Club) fun climb in Mt. Kulis. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in the mountains and this is what I really needed after the continuous overtime and weekend grind at work.
Mt. Kulis is 620 MASL and an hour trek from the registration area of Fresno. The summit is where the campsite is located, overlooking the beautiful mountain ranges of Rizal. From there, you can also see the Sea of Clouds in the morning.
Just a few meters from the campsite, an unusual boat can be seen in the middle of the mountains. If you want to sail the sea of clouds, the Noah’s Ark got you. It sits atop limestone rocks and is located where the sea of clouds appear in the morning. The experience is like you’re sailing on the sea of clouds. You’ll just have to wake up early to experience this ride. If you did not make it during the sea of clouds, you can see the amazing view of the valleys and mountains surrounding the area — Green lush of trees and slopes.
LION HOUSE FALLS
After the trek, we refreshen at Lion House Falls. The waterfall is a bit far from the campsite but we rode a farmer’s tractor going to the jump-off point which added to the experience. We took a dip at the waterfalls’ cold waters. It was very relaxing, all our fatigue were gone.
SEA OF CLOUDS
What I probably enjoyed the most during our stay here was the late-night socials the club had. We cooked dinner under the starry sky and the cold weather. The next day, the sun rose and lighting up the sea of clouds in front of us. The appearance and density of the sea of clouds can vary from time to time but fortunately, we were able to see it while having our breakfast.
If you want to chill and be with nature after this pandemic, visiting Mt. Kulis and Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite is a good start to be out again and experience nature at its finest.
- Sitio Maysawa, Tanay, Rizal, Philippines
- Jump-off Point: Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite
HOW TO GET THERE:
- By Private Transportation
- Via Sampaloc in Tanay, Rizal – Take the Tanay-Sampaloc Road. Drive straight until you reach the junction then turn left to Marcos Highway. Continue driving until you reach Maysawa Road. Turn right then straight up to Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite Registration Area.
- Via Marcos Highway – Drive along Marcos Highway passing Masinag, Cogeo, Boso-Boso Resort, Palo Alto, and Garden Cottages until you reach Maysawa Road. Turn left then straight up to Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite Registration Area.
- By Public Transportation
- Ride a van/jeepney from Cubao going to Cogeo Gate 2. (Fare = P24-P30, Travel Time = 40 Minutes)
- Take another jeepney at the terminal beside CityMall going to Sampaloc, Tanay. Get off at Sitio Maysawa or jump-off to Maysawa Circuit. (Fare = P45, Travel Time = 1 Hour)
- Take a tricycle or walk to get to Fresno Agro-Forestry and Eco Tourist Campsite. (Fare = P45-P50, Travel Time = 45 Minutes or Less)
- By Private Transportation
- Sleeping Mat
- Comfortable Footwear
- Hiking Clothes
- Hydration Pack/Water Bottles
- Trail and overnight food
RATES AND FEES:
- Entrance Fee (Day Tour: 4:00A.M. – 4:00P.M.): P150.00/Head
- Entrance Fee (Overnight Tour: 4:00P.M. – 1:00P.M.): P200.00/Head
- Tent Pitching Fee: P300/Tent
- Tent Rental (Good for 2 Persons): P500.00
- Sleeping Mat: P100.00/Mat
- The best time to visit is during the weekdays to avoid the crowd.
- Parking Spaces are available.
- Flying of drones is allowed.
- Bring jackets or sweaters when you’re staying overnight as the weather during the night is cold.
- Leave No Trace. No picking of flowers or plants and do not litter. Keep all trash with you.
- Overnight guests are accommodated at 4:00 P.M. until 8:00 P.M. to ensure safety and give respect to the local community surrounding the campsite.
- There is a corkage fee of Php50 per alcoholic beverage bottle.
- Keep Quiet. Avoid loud music and shouting.