The Cordillera Administrative Region or the Cordilleras is known for its mountain ranges, the rice terraces, and the fascinating ethnic people who have lived there for centuries. We were fortunate enough to have an adventure in one of the wonderful cultural places in the Philippines. This trip just started from our conversation during our Cebu trip last February. We talked about the sea of clouds in Sagada about having a tattoo from Apo Whang Od. It’s been a long-time goal for me to visit Sagada, traveling there made me more excited to do the trip.
We tried to visit 3 provinces since we only have limited time and resources. We chose specific locations from each province that we’re interested in. Part of our plan was to visit the Rice Terraces in Ifugao, the Tattoo Village in Kalinga, and the Hanging Coffins in the Mountain Province.
Traveling in CAR can be a challenge since some of the places are remote and public transportation is limited. You either have to wait for other passengers or rent the whole vehicle. We started our trip in Ifugao, then to Kalinga, and last to the Mountain Province. This was a 4-day trip and we were mostly on the road but still, it was an experience-rich trip — From seeing beautiful landscapes, learning the ethnic culture, having conversations with locals, to meeting new people along the road.
Our trip was not just a weekend getaway but a journey of learning and adventure.
CHECK OUT THESE DETAILED POSTS OF OUR TRAVELS IN BATAD, IFUGAO, BUSCALAN, KALINGA, AND SAGADA.
- Cordillera Administrative Region, Luzon, Philippines
HOW TO GET THERE:
- ENTRY: SAGADA, MOUNTAIN PROVINCE (Sagada first)
- Ride a bus at Coda Lines in Cubao, Quezon City
- ENTRY: BANAUE, IFUGAO (Batad first)
- Ride a bus at Ohayami Trans in Lacson Avenue, Manila City
- From the bus drop-off point, you can ride a tricycle going to the Saddle
- IFUGAO – Batad
- KALINGA – Buscalan Village
- The village offers homestays for tourists, ask your local guide for available hosts
- MOUNTAIN PROVINCE – Sagada
- BENGUET – Baguio
- Public transportation going to some places in the Cordilleras is limited and time-bound, you will need a lot of patience and you should time your departure and arrival accordingly.
- Have enough cash as ATM machines are scarce.