The Cordillera Administrative Region or the Cordilleras is known for its mountain ranges, the rice terraces, and the fascinating ethnic people who have lived there for centuries. We were fortunate enough to have an adventure in one of the wonderful and cultural places in the Philippines. This trip just started from our conversation in our Cebu trip last February. We talked about the sea of clouds in Sagada to having a tattoo from Apo Whang Od. It’s been a long time goal for me to visit Sagada, traveling there made me more excited to do the trip.
We tried to visit 3 provinces since we only have limited time and resources. We chose specific locations from each province that we’re interested in. Part of our plan was to visit the Rice Terraces in Ifugao, the Tattoo Village in Kalinga, and the Hanging Coffins in the Mountain Province.
Traveling in CAR can be a challenge since some of the places are remote and public transportations are limited. You either have to wait for other passengers or rent the whole vehicle.
We started our trip in Ifugao, then to Kalinga and last to the Mountain Province.
This was a 4-day trip and we were mostly on the road but still, it was an experience-rich trip — From seeing beautiful landscapes, learning the ethnic culture, having conversations with locals, to meeting new people along the road.
Our trip was not just a weekend getaway but a journey of learning and adventure.
I’ll be having detailed posts for every place we’ve visited in the region, come visit again and check it out too!
Wake up. Breakfast. Explore Bontoc Town.
|7:00 A.M.||Arrival at Banaue, Ride trike or jeep going to Saddle near Batad (P150-jeep, P300 Trike for 4)||Breakfast|
|8:00 A.M.||Arrival at Saddle, Walk to Batad Village||
Travel from Bontoc to Tinglayan, Turning point (Junction)
Sagada Tour (Lake Danum, Sumaguing Cave, etc.)
|9:00 A.M.||Check-in or leave bags, start trek to view deck|
Trek to Tappiyah Falls
|Arrival at Brgy Bugnay, Tinglayan, Turning point. Trek to Buscalan Village|
Arrival at Buscalan Village. Start Tattoo Session, Lunch.
|12:00 A.M.||Spend time in Tappiyah Falls. Lunch.|
Trek back to the village
Stay in Sagada or Travel to Baguio
|2:00 P.M.||Leave Buscalan Village|
|3:00 P.M.||Last public transportation back to Banaue||
Arrival at Turning Point, Travel to Sagada, Ride jeep, van or bus to Bontoc.
Back in Banaue. Travel to Bontoc by bus or van. (P200, Last Trip, 4:00 PM)
|5:00 P.M.||Ride jeep from bontoc to sagada (P45, 5:30 PM last trip)|
|6:00 P.M.||Arrival at Bontoc. Check-in||Arrival in Sagada. Check-in||Dinner. Leave for Manila|
- Cordillera Administrative Region, Luzon, Philippines
HOW TO GET THERE:
- ENTRY: SAGADA, MOUNTAIN PROVINCE (Sagada first)
- Ride a bus at Coda Lines in Cubao, Quezon City
- ENTRY: BANAUE, IFUGAO (Batad first)
- Ride a bus at Ohayami Trans in Lacson Avenue, Manila City
- From the bus drop-off point, you can ride a tricycle going to the Saddle
- Trekking Pants
- Water Bottle
- Trekking Sandals/Shoes
CLICK THE LINKS BELOW FOR RATES & AVAILABILITY
IFUGAO – Batad
- Batad View Inn and Restaurant
- Batad Top View Point Homestay and Restaurant
- Batad Viewpoint Guesthouse and Restaurant
- Batad Village Homestay
KALINGA – Buscalan Village
- The village offers homestays for tourist, ask your local guide for available hosts
MOUNTAIN PROVINCE – Sagada
- Isabelo’s Inn and Cafe
- Kanip Aw Pines View Lodge
- Shamrock Tavern Inn
- Kenlibed Inn
- Grandma’s Yellow House
- Public transportation going to some places in the Cordilleras is limited and time-bound, you will need a lot of patience and you should time your departure and arrival accordingly.