Jeongbang Waterfall is located in the southern part of Jeju Island in the city of Seogwipo. It is considered one of the top 3 falls on the island and has a height of 23 meters. Legend has it that there should be an engraved “Seobulgwacha” on the cliffs of Jeongbang Waterfall. This engraving was written by a man called Seobul, who was ordered by Emperor Qin Shu Huangdi, to find an elixir plant on the island. Unable to find the plant, he went west to go back to China and found the amazing site of the waterfall. He got captivated leading him to write the words on the cliffs. The word has not yet been found today but maybe you will on your visit?
As we circle Jeju Island with our rented car, our destination in the south is the two known falls of Jeju – Cheonjiyeon and Jeongbang. Jeongbang is probably one of the most unique waterfalls I’ve ever seen.
TAKE A PICTURE OF US
We parked and paid the entrance fee, then walked down the stairs going to the waterfall. As we go down, little by little the view is starting to show completely. I was surprised by the view of Jeongbang. Its waters fall directly into the sea. Yes, you read that right. To the SEA. Most of the waterfalls we’ve seen fall onto land and let their water flow as a river or a stream but this is different. I was captivated by the picturesque view of the falls and its surroundings. The pine trees, steep cliffs, large boulders, and the falls collectively shout, “Take a picture of us!”.
The sun was also setting and it added to the beauty of Jeongbang Waterfalls. We took our time appreciating the view and taking a lot of photos. We didn’t see “Seobulgwacha” amidst everything but maybe you will?
WANT TO KNOW MORE DESTINATIONS IN JEJU ISLAND? CHECK MY SOUTH KOREA: JEJU ISLAND & SEOUL TRAVEL BLOG!
- 37 Chilsimni-ro 214beon-gil, Seogwipo-si, Jeju Island, South Korea
HOW TO GET THERE:
a. AIRPORT LIMOUSINE BUS NO. 600
- Ride Bus No. 600 and get off at Paradise Hotel (Travel Time: 1 Hour and 35 Minutes)
- Then, Walk in the direction of Jeongbang Waterfall (Travel Time: 5 Minutes)
b. CITY BUS:
- For travelers and tourists, taking the intercity bus is a better option. Take bus number 780 or bus number 730 to Seogwipo-si. (Travel Time: 2 hours)
- Get off at Dongmun Rotary (roundabout).
c. CAR RENTAL:
- Rent a car via KLOOK JEJU CAR RENTALS
d. CHARTERED CAR (including Fuel fees, Parking fees, Toll fees, and 9 hours of private car charter service):
e. TRAVEL TOURS (include round-trip transfers, lunch, guides, and admission tickets):
- Entrance Fee (Adults): ₩2,000
- Entrance Fee (Teenagers and children): ₩1,000
- Admission Fee (For a group): ₩1,600 for Adults and ₩600 for children
CHECK OUT THESE DISCOUNTED/PROMO RATES FROM KLOOK:
- Aqua Planet Jeju Ticket (Foreigners Only)
- Gimnyeong Yacht Cruise Tour in Jeju
- Nanta Show Ticket in Jeju
- Jeju K-Pop & K-Drama Day Tour
- Starry Night Photoshoot Experience in Jeju
- Contact Numbers: (+82) 064-733-1530
- OPERATING HOURS: 09:00 A.M. – 5:20 P.M. both on Weekdays and Weekends
- FACILITIES: Public Parking, Cash Payment, Credit Card Payment, Restrooms, Convenience Store, Beverage Stand, Guidance and Information Facilities, Alarm and Evacuation Facilities
- If you need food and drinks, they are sold by vendors near the entrance.
- The best months to visit Jeongbang Waterfall are from April to June and September to October.
- The best times to visit are in the morning around 9:00 A.M. – 10:00 A.M. and in the afternoon around 3:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes because the rocks near the falls are slippery.