ACABAN CAVE OR LOVERS’ CAVE
What’s nice about a certain destination is not just its beautiful landscapes but also the legends and stories surrounding that place. One of these destinations is Acaban Cave. Located in the town of Culaba, in the northeastern part of Biliran, this cave will entice you with the bizarre legends it holds.
Acaban Cave is also known as Lovers’ Cave because according to the locals, the cave is a favorite spot for lovers to have some privacy. The story goes when two young lovers went to the cave for some romance but tragedy struck and they got swept by the waves into the sea thus the name came.
Another legend is that during World War 2, Japanese soldiers made the cave their hiding place and they hid a lot of gold treasures inside. This attracted treasure hunters but it is still not confirmed if there are really treasures inside the cave.
Another fascinating story about Acaban Cave is that it is a dwelling for enchanted spirits and the water coming from the inside is said to have healing powers.
EXPLORING ACABAN CAVE
Before going to Tinago Falls and Canaan Hill Farms, Kuya Elmer brought me to Acaban Cave and was told of these stories. No matter what is the story of Acaban, I felt fortunate to have visited this cave. The waters in this area are very clear and the view is very amazing.
The Bernabe clan is the owner of the land surrounding the cave and there was a plan to make this a world-class resort but unfortunately, the owner died and the plan did not continue. Despite not being world-class, you need to visit this place and stay in one of their cottages instead. Take a dip into the clear sea and see the wonderful view around you. Just be careful as the waters here are quite deep and rugged rocks surround the place.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE DESTINATIONS IN BILIRAN, YOU CAN ALSO CHECK MY BILIRAN TRAVEL GUIDE.
TRAVEL GUIDE & TIPS
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Charter a tricycle or motorcycle from Naval going to Acaban Cave (Lovers’ Cave). Or you can contact Kuya Elmer Samuray for a tour guide – 0915 269 8650 / 0929 713 8940. (Travel Time: 50 Minutes)
THINGS TO DO:
- Swimming – take a dip to the surrounding clear waters
- Picture Taking – take a photo of the breathtaking view of Acaban Cave
- Fishing – school of fishes can be seen in the surrounding sea
- Picnic – stay in one of their cottages and dine together with your friends and families
- Entrance Fee (Adults): ₱20 per person
- Entrance Fee (Minors): ₱10 per person
- Cottage: ₱300
- Big Cottage: ₱500
*Price is subject to change without prior notice
- BETHANY HILL BROWN ROOM ALMERIA
- BETHANY HILL BLACK ROOM ALMERIA
- MIDPOINT SUITES
- HOTEL BENJAMIN NAVAL
- FRAGOCH TOURIST INN
- MARVIN’S SEASIDE INN
- GV HOTEL NAVAL
CHECK OUT THESE DISCOUNTED/PROMO RATES FROM KLOOK:
- Boracay Parasailing
- Coron Super Ultimate Day Tour
- Boracay Sunset Cruise
- Puerto Princesa Underground River Day Tour Palawan
- Oslob Whale Shark and Cebu Canyoneering Adventure
- Facebook Page (Biliran Province): Biliran Island
- Contact Numbers (Tour Guide – Kuya Elmer Samuray): 0915 269 8650 / 0929 713 8940
- The waters in this area are deep so keep safe.
- The cave is surrounded by sharp rocks so wear proper footwear.
- Do not litter. Bring your garbage with you.