Sangumburi Crater is one of Jeju’s popular natural tourist sites where travelers can walk in peace and be around nature. It is designated as Natural Monument No.263 of South Korea’s Natural Heritage System. According to studies, Sangumburi is a maar crater that resulted from an explosion caused by the meeting of groundwater and hot lava/magma. The crater did not spew lava continuously but it exploded quickly. The crater is also of high value for research as it houses rare species of plants and animals.
Sangumburi Crater is located on the east side of Jeju Island. After visiting Seongsan Ilchulbong and Jeju LAF/Daheeyeon Garden, we drove to the crater. Sangumburi has a park wherein people can walk in serenity. Even though we arrived at noon, the heat didn’t matter because of the beautiful nature surrounding us. The park has a lot of eulalia/silvergrass which adds to the picturesque view of the site. At the viewing area, we didn’t notice that it was the crater but after keenly observing the depth it started to dawn on us that it was the crater not just a slope of the mountain. The crater is huge and shaped like a stadium filled not by people but by trees and plants.
The park was clean and well-maintained. The surrounding Silvergrass made us feel that we were in a TV series or movie. We took our time taking a lot of photos before going to our next destination.
WANT TO KNOW MORE DESTINATIONS IN JEJU ISLAND? CHECK MY SOUTH KOREA: JEJU ISLAND & SEOUL TRAVEL BLOG!
- 768, Bijarim-ro, Jocheon-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju Island, South Korea
HOW TO GET THERE:
a. CITY BUS:
- From Jeju City Intercity Bus Terminal, you can take bus 710, 710-1, 720 or 720-1 to Sangumburi. (Travel Time: 1 Hour)
- From Seogwipo Intercity Bus Terminal, you can take buses 782, 782-1, 782-2, and 710-1, 720-1. (Travel Time: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes)
b. CAR RENTAL:
- Rent a car via KLOOK JEJU CAR RENTALS.
c. CHARTERED CAR (including Fuel fees, Parking fees, Toll fees, and 9 hours of private car charter service):
- Entrance Fee (Adults): ₩6,000
- Entrance Fee (Teenagers): ₩4,000
- Entrance Fee (Children): ₩3,000
- Entrance Fee (For a group of 20 or more): ₩5,000 for Adults and ₩2,500 for teenagers & children
CHECK OUT THESE DISCOUNTED/PROMO RATES FROM KLOOK:
- Aqua Planet Jeju Ticket (Foreigners Only)
- Gimnyeong Yacht Cruise Tour in Jeju
- Nanta Show Ticket in Jeju
- Jeju K-Pop & K-Drama Day Tour
- Starry Night Photoshoot Experience in Jeju
- Contact Numbers: (+82) 064-783-9900
- OPERATING HOURS: 09:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. (From March – October); 09:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. (From November – February). Open all year round.
- FACILITIES: Public Parking, Cash Payment, Credit Card Payment, Restrooms, Convenience Store, Beverage Stand
- The last admissions are 40 minutes before closing.
- Closing hours are subject to change depending on weather conditions.